Bonjour From France

Bonjour From France

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Veiwing the World in New Perspectives


My House


Nebraska's Irrigation

Australia and Antarctica




By viewing the world from different perspectives, it allows us to learn new things about the world. Posted in this blog are three images in which I discovered new things about the world around us. When we take time to look at situations, places, and experiences from new angles in life it allows us to step back and think of new things with new solutions to the problems. Google Earth is a great application that allows to easily fly around the world and see places from above that we may never be able to see in our lifetimes. Not only can we see new things, but also new angles and new directions.

The first image that I saved from Google Earth is my house in St. Louis Missouri. Based on this picture, you can see that my subdivision is right on the river. Although I can see the river when the trees lose their leaves in the fall, I never knew the shape that the river outlined. The river truly curves our subdivision and it allowed me to see things from above and to be able to put my house in perspective to how big the river is. Normally when we hike down to the river in the fall, you just think of the river as a straight line. From this Google Earth image, you can see that the river is very large and does not flow in a straight line but rather in a curve.

My neighbors also told me that before most of the other houses were built in our subdivision, the barge lights would hit their house every night as the river curved the bend. By viewing this picture from above, I’m now able to picture just how the lights could shine on my neighbor’s house.

The next image is taken from the area just outside of Seward, Nebraska. This image I just found fascinating. These images would not be able to be seen from land but can only be seen from this new perspective from above. From this bird’s eye view, so to speak, you are able to depict all the different patterns and how irrigation is such a big part of Nebraska.

The next image is of Australia and Antarctica. I have always known Australia to be very warm and sunny. From this Google Earth image, we are able to see that is very close to Antarctica where it is cold and snowy for the majority of the time. It is hard to imagine that they are so close together and just separated by an ocean but it affects so much of their climate.

From these three images and new angles, we can learn so much more about the world. These new angles allow us to learn new things. This application will allow us to enhance our understanding of Geography better.

1 comment:

  1. Great job on your blog. Very thorough and thoughtful posts. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete


My family on vacation in California

The view from our hotel

The Crooked Street

The Elephant Seals