Bonjour From France

Bonjour From France

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Geogrpahy of Glaciers


Glaciers throughout the world





This past summer our family took a cruise to Alaska. This was a very cool experience and I got to not only learn about Geography but also learn about a new environment that I had never seen before. I was able to also get to see with my own eyes and up close several glaciers. Our cruise ship got to see a fjord that no other cruise ships have been able to get clearance for in Alaska. I have posted a few pictures of the glaciers from this fjord we got to see.

I remember waking up really early one morning to see these glaciers. The glaciers were very cold but breath takingly gorgeous. Our grandparents had a balcony off their room that was located on the back of the boat. This room made our glacier viewing experience even better because we didn’t have to fight for room with all the other cruise ship members on the top deck. From this view, we got to take lots of pictures.

This cruise allowed me to see glaciers with my own eyes rather than seeing them in textbooks. They are so much better than pictures. Although pictures are beautiful it is not able to capture the temperature and the sounds around it. What made these glaciers so cool was the fact that we got to hear the calving. Calving astounded me because just a tiny piece of ice, made such a loud noise in the water.

It was also cool because a small boat came out of the cruise ship and went to pick a piece of the floating glacier and ice caps from the water and brought it to the top deck so we could feel and see the pieces up close. Also it was really cool to be able to experience the wild life of seals and whales that had inhabited the glaciers.

Posted on this blog along with pictures from our trip, is a map of where different glaciers are located in the world. I had not stopped to think about how many truly beautiful glaciers there are in the world, until I saw this map.

Glaciers are a very beautiful sight and I would encourage anyone to see them if they get the chance. Glaciers are placed throughout the world and are geographically located among many different countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment


My family on vacation in California

The view from our hotel

The Crooked Street

The Elephant Seals