Bonjour From France

Bonjour From France

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Varied Foods Around The World!


Trying Lobster For The First Time!


How Americans Love Their McDonalds and Coffee Drinks!

Different liking of foods varies from region to region and very much depends on culture. There are many animals that we take for granted that are considered privileges in other countries, and on the other hand other animals we would never think about eating like they do in other countries. For example, in America we attempt to kill all the ants we can since they are unwelcome in our society, but in other countries it is a very big privilege to eat ants. All these foods depend on what our parents and society around us have taught us through culture.

Through globalization and travels, other countries around the world will be able to come into contact and experience tasting of new foods. As globalization spreads also will different restaurants and food preference will be shared with many new cultures. Even in America, do we have varied foods across the states. For example, you can’t buy cheesy toasted ravioli hardly anywhere but St.Louis. When we had some friends move away and we had to mail them shipments of it because they couldn’t buy it in Florida.

The atmosphere and climate also have an impact on the foods we eat and the types of crops that grow best in the suitable weather or the distance they are from the ocean . Although America prefers their fast food restaurants, many other countries specialize in other areas which I have learned through many trips out of the country.

Although I’m a picky eater, every time we have been out of the country my parents makes us try a new food that the country we are visiting are known for throughout the world. Even though I thought eating snails called escargot in Paris was strange and unthinkable, I loved them! Now any chance we get I try to eat it.

When we traveled to London, we were able to try their fish-in-chips, which was a popular local food. Other travels on cruises have allowed us to try different types of seafood such as salmon and shrimp. Although those may be common foods, putting seafood in seaweed and rice called sushi may be weird to some people. I, however, really enjoy certain types of sushi.

While fish is common, calamari or squid, may never want to be tried. I refused to try calamari until my parents tricked me into telling me it was chicken. Through this lesson I have learned that regardless of the name or animal, we should try it. Although you may not care for it, other types of food you may love. Although our culture does not care for the food, when traveling eating the local food is one of the best ways to learn of their region and to get an accurate picture.

Just over this past weekend, I went to Colorado for Easter break. Easter dinner included lamb and herbs made out of dandelions. Although I thought I could never eat lamb or never thought of eating dandelions, I grew to like lamb. I did not care for the bitter herbs of dandelions that they put on the bread without yeast though.

Not only does culture and traveling have a huge impact on the foods we consume, we must keep an open mind. Just as my grandma says, you must try the food while asking if we want a little or a lot when it comes to food amounts that are placed on your plate. We must be open minded and willing to try new things so we can expand our horizons and get to know other cultures around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment


My family on vacation in California

The view from our hotel

The Crooked Street

The Elephant Seals